Monday, May 20, 2013

A Workplace Relationship

Establishing a good relationship within your organization is essential for positive vibes along with eustress. Your co-workers and supervisors have a huge impact on your behavior, stress level, and your emotional state. How many times have you came home in a bad mood after a long hectic day at work to find yourself taking your temper out on your spouse or children? As a child growing up, with both of my parents working full time, I've experienced them arriving home in a bad mood to find out all of a sudden I have twice as many chores to accomplish that day. Now that I've learned the job description of  a consultant, I could've referred one to their jobs!


Teamwork, Communication, & Unity
For my experience in the workplace, I have been able to establish good relationships with my supervisors and co-workers for the most part. My philosophy of establishing a good relationship in the workplace is that it does not start on your first day, but it starts with your job interview. The interview is where an employee wants to begin their positive behavior with the organization. Even if you do not get hired, the interviewee will remember you because of your positive vibes that you brought to the table. I've personally been hired twice, once with a Law Firm in Los Angeles, CA; and my current job with Jones Soda Inc. The Law Firm is a summer job that I've maintained for the past two years. The environment is very diverse, ranging from Caucasians, African Americans, to Koreans. Due to it's location in Los Angeles, the majority of the workplace is dominated by Koreans. At first, I felt out of place and didn't know how to approach them because they have different beliefs, and values than most Americans. Most of them were above the age of 35, married, have children, and live in stable houses with their families. While I'm just an undergrad in college and have little experience in the work force. I got the feeling of newcomer appraisal uncertainty (veteran employees may be uncertain about the newcomer's ability to competently perform his or her new tasks).

After a few weeks went by, I started to realize them as family, and if I was their child. They were all extremely respectful; taking me out for lunch, after hour drinks, and inviting me to birthdays, weddings, etc. The office had a positive environment everyday, even on mondays if you can believe that! Every friday, the boss would buy lunch for everyone. That was good for co-workers to catch up with each other after a longs week of work. Communication is the main goal in this Law Firm. Every co-worker had their own in-office phone that connected to each and every co-workers phone. This made communication much easier, but at the same time it led to less interactive communication. There was never gossip floating throughout the halls of the Law Firm, or at least I didn't experience any gossip. Most employees would keep their opinions to themselves that concerned colleagues.

During the job, I wouldn't suggest that the Law Firm was in need of a consultant because everyone seemed to be happy in their position in the job. A consultant is never a bad thing though, it's just to make sure everyone is on the same page. Even though co-workers might say they are happy, they might actually be hiding something within themselves that they're unhappy about. I would suggest that every job hires a consultant every two years, or when there is a change in management.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, you're absolutely right. It can be really helpful to have a consultant come in even when things are going smoothly, to provide confirmation that management is doing a good job running things!

    ReplyDelete